Assistant Coach for Cheerleading Program
Penn State Intercollegiate Athletics, a Division I and Big Ten Conference Institution, is seeking an Assistant Coach for the Cheerleading program. This position helps manage the Penn State Cheerleading Team program, practices, facilitates recruiting of new members, conducts yearly tryouts, teaches and cleans routines and supervises the team at all home football games, home men's and women's basketball games, and various other events throughout the year such as college nationals and camp. As an extension of the Penn State Intercollegiate Athletics (ICA) department, the Cheerleading Assistant Coach works with the Spirit Director, Lionettes Dance Team Coach and Team, the Cheerleading Team, Nittany Lion mascot, and the marketing department to enhance the fan experience at Penn State events. This position must serve as a positive role model for students through ethical and professional conduct.
RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE, BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO:
- Coach and instruct the cheerleading team members, individually or in groups. Teach cheerleaders rules and regulations, game day format and applicable skills, as well as use of any necessary equipment. Able to choreograph gameday and nationals routines.
- Utilize technical cheerleading background and knowledge of the cheer world to enhance team stunts, tumbling, and help team members to learn and master new technical elements.
- Develop a regular weekly practice schedule and organizes practice times to provide both individual and team development; emphasize safety in skill development, provide proper warm-up and strength and conditioning to always ensure team member safety.
- Must possess strong cleaning skills for cheerleading routines, the ability to create unique routines/formations/skills and must be able to do choreography as needed.
- Assess skills and assign team positions. Model non-discriminatory practices in assignment of positions.
- Manage Lionettes Dance Team when needed for home football games, away football games, home men's and women's basketball games, etc.
- Work with the Spirit Director to develop policies for determining travel squad members. Model non-discriminatory practices in scheduling team travel and Nationals team selection.
- Participate in special events (i.e. pep rallies, THON, Homecoming, etc.). Develop procedures for scheduling Penn State Cheerleading Team members for all events assigned by the Spirit Director.
- Attend College Nationals each year, maintaining a competitive presence in Division 1A. Attend competitive college camp each summer. Establish Detailed strategic plans for success at cheer camp and college cheer Nationals.
- Recruit new students to join the Penn State Cheerleading team each year. Plan, organize and conduct selections for the Penn State Spirit Team. Employ strategies that encourages recruitment of diverse team members and an environment of diversity and inclusion.
- Collaborate with the athletic department marketing team on gameday preparation.
- Monitor the academic progress of Spirit team members to ensure they are meeting the requirements of all student-athletes by working with the team's academic advisor.
- Must possess effective coaching techniques and leadership skills.
- Have strong stunting and tumbling training/background and experience coaching or cheerleading with a collegiate program.
- Must possess thorough knowledge of the rules, regulations, strategies and techniques of a nationally ranked competitive collegiate cheer program. Possess knowledge of UCA/NCA nationals and Penn State game day traditions as they relate to the Penn State Cheerleading Team.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with students and administration.
- Strong organizational and interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrate commitment to diversity, inclusion, and equity.
- Maintenance of CPR, AED and First Aid training required.
- Ability to lift up to 35 pounds and the ability to stand for extended periods of time.
- Willingness and ability to work evenings, weekends and holidays. Travel may be required for away football games, postseason events, etc.
Typically requires an Associate's degree or higher plus three years of related experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
This position requires the following clearances in addition to applicable background checks: PA State Police Criminal Background Check, PA Child Abuse History Clearance Form, and Federal (FBI) Fingerprint Criminal Background Check. This position requires that you operate a motor vehicle as a part of your job duties. A valid driver's license and successful completion of a motor vehicle records check will be required.
The Pennsylvania State University is committed to and accountable for advancing diversity, equity, inclusion, and sustainability in all of its forms. We embrace individual uniqueness, foster a culture of inclusion that supports both broad and specific diversity initiatives, leverage the educational and institutional benefits of diversity in society and nature, and engage all individuals to help them thrive. We value inclusion as a core strength and an essential element of our public service mission.
Apply online at https://psu.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/PSU_Staff/job/University-Park-Campus/Assistant-Coach-for-Cheerleading-Program_REQ_0000031530-1
CAMPUS SECURITY CRIME STATISTICS: For more about safety at Penn State, and to review the Annual Security Report which contains information about crime statistics and other safety and security matters, please go to http://www.police.psu.edu/clery/, which will also provide you with detail on how to request a hard copy of the Annual Security Report.
Penn State is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer, and is committed to providing employment opportunities to all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.
Copyright 2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency