Assistant Director for Athletic Equipment Services
Requisition Number: 2022S054Posting
Full Time/Part Time: Full Time
Department: Equipment Services
Colgate Athletics seeks to be a welcoming and diverse association of students, coaches, staff, alumni and fans in which all people are treated equitably and respectfully, and can contribute fully to our success; we share common goals, we affirm open communication and civility, we honor the sacredness of each person, we accept responsibility to act for the common good, we care for and serve one another, and we honor our history while celebrating our evolution; and, we strive to consistently perform at the upper range of our potential, to get better every day with a goal to win - to win in competition, in the classroom, in the community and in the lives of every member of the Colgate Community.
Under the general direction of the Director of Athletic Equipment Services, the Assistant Director assists with managing the Athletic Equipment Services Department.
- Provide equipment and services to support University intercollegiate sports and student-athletes.
- Effective supervision, training, evaluation and accountability for staff in Equipment Services including full-time union employees, casual wage employees, and student employees.
- Appropriately assigns and oversees work assignments to union and casual employees.
- Ensures staffing needs are met and appropriately recommends staff changes to the Director of Athletic Equipment Services.
- Ensures best staff is hired and on-boards new employees, as needed.
- Effectively manages staff by listening and responding to employee grievances as they occur.
- Oversee equipment operations and safety for assigned sports.
- Proper oversight of equipment and safety is expected, and includes the following practices:
- Effectively communicates with assigned head and assistant coaches to certify all athletic equipment complies with applicable safety regulations.
- Conducts equipment needs analysis, and provides consultation to coaching staff and athletes on the use of equipment by using human kinetics principles.
- Independently researches and determines if new safety protocols and equipment modifications should be implemented.
- Makes procurement decisions with respect to necessary equipment changes.
- Reviews equipment fitting protocols and implements appropriate changes.
- Makes final decision regarding equipment to be used by student-athletes.
- Makes final decision regarding when a student-athlete may return to play if absence was caused by equipment related issues.
- Oversees logistics regarding equipment transportation for athletic events, e.g. weight limitations.
- Coordinates physical setup of various activities within athletics to ensure events run smoothly.
- As designated, attends management meetings as Equipment Services representative and ensures effective communication of information and positive representation of the department.
- Attends national training seminars and conferences on techniques and advancements in athletic equipment and communicates learned information to the Director of Athletic Equipment Services.
- Responsible for specific team equipment budgets for assigned sports. These duties include but are not limited to:
- Ensures teams stay within equipment budget and receives additional funding approval as necessary.
- Makes final decisions with respect to specific team uniforms, equipment and apparel.
- Ensures all equipment and apparel complies with applicable University trademarks, and ECAC, NCAA and Patriot League rules, regulations and operations.
- Responsible for role modeling positive behaviors and leadership for student-athletes and employees.
- Accountable for maintaining personal compliance with all relevant governing bodies to include:
- specific conference
- athletic department
- university policies
- A minimum of three (3) years of experience working in a collegiate athletic department or equivalent setting.
- Must have experience with fitting equipment.
- Must be capable of working collegially with a diverse group of faculty, staff and students on a daily basis.
- Ability to travel with teams as needed.
- Ability to work nights, weekends and some holidays.
- Familiarity with commercial size laundry facilities, including ozone machine.
- Knowledge of disinfectant materials and procedures and related OSHA regulations.
- Ability to use power equipment tools in the use of repairing helmets, sticks, skates and cutting shafts and the ability to train others in their use.
- Bachelors degree required or a combination of education and industry experience from which comparable skills are attained is required.
Colgate University is committed to the principle of institutional control in administering its athletics program in a manner consistent with the NCAA, ECAC, and Patriot League rules. Each individual involved in the athletics division is obligated to maintain competency and knowledge of the rules, to act within his or her realm of responsibility in full compliance with the governing legislation, and to report any violation of NCAA, ECAC or Patriot League rules of which he or she is aware. Should a situation warrant further investigation, you have an affirmative obligation to cooperate full in the infractions process, including the investigation and adjudication of a case. The failure to do so can be grounds for your termination with cause.
Weekdays, with occasional evenings, overnights and weekends.
Job Open Date:
Job Close Date:
Open Until Filled
Special Instructions Summary
It is the policy of Colgate University not to discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of their race, color, creed, religion, age, sex, pregnancy, national origin, marital status, disability, protected Veterans status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information, being or having been victims of domestic violence or stalking, familial status, or any other categories covered by law. Colgate is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. Candidates from historically underrepresented groups, women, persons with disabilities, and protected veterans are encouraged to apply.
CAMPUS CRIME REPORTING AND STATISTICS
The Campus Safety Department will provide upon request a copy of Colgates Annual Security and Fire Safety Report. This report includes statistics as reported to the United States Department of Education for the previous three years concerning reported: 1. crimes that occurred on-campus; in certain off-campus buildings or property owned or controlled by Colgate University; and on public property within, or immediately adjacent to and accessible from, the campus and 2. fires that occurred in student housing facilities. The report also includes institutional policies concerning campus security and fire safety, such as policies concerning sexual assault, life safety systems, and other related matters. To obtain a copy, contact the Campus Safety Compliance Manager via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org. You may also access the report from the Campus Safety web page at: www.colgate.edu/offices/support/campussafety.
To view the full job posting and apply for this position, go to: https://careers.colgate.edu/postings/4106
Copyright 2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency